Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Coniston in the Lake District, May 31

Coniston, and Coniston Water as seen from "the rock"

He said:
We had a quick taxi ride this morning  to our new stay in Coniston, a town on the edge of a lake (Coniston Water), and the edge of the more rugged hills and fells of the southern Lake District.  E stayed in to recover, I took off up the hill to the west to have a look and take some photos.  The weather was cool and partly cloudy to sunny, the sun showed through more than in the past week or longer.  There is the promise of a brighter tomorrow.



She said:
May 31
The King’s Arms, Hawkshead to The Yewdale Hotel, Coniston
by taxi
The most gracious hosts, Peter and Beverley (and their little dog, Millie) welcomed us early to the Yewdale Hotel.  I’m still feeling lousy, but have upgraded myself from poor to solidly in fair.  Lolled around in the room again.  R hiked and shopped for our provisions (expectorant for me – tmi?)  I’m sick to death of this bug and bored out of my mind.  Rallied minimally late afternoon for a walk around town and down to the lakeside.  Lovely.
Cautiously optimistic about a short hike tomorrow.
And, since I’m still in, it is, of course, sunny today.

No comments:

Post a Comment